- Emergency notifications are issued upon confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees.
- Timely warnings and campus alerts are issued for Clery crimes that represent an ongoing threat to the safety of students or employees.
- SIU and the City of Carbondale also have a system of sirens to warn of imminent severe weather. These sirens are generally tested at 10:00 a.m. on the first Tuesday of every month.
Why am I not getting alerts?
To get email alerts, you must claim (and check) your @siu.edu email account. If you forward that account to another, you may need to white list it so it does not get flagged as spam.
Secondary Channels For Alerts
When email and text alerts are sent out, alerts are also posted on social media accounts of the SIU Department of Public Safety
Alerts to Other Email Addresses and Text Messages
To receive alerts via text message or at a non-siu.edu email address, you must make sure your information is in the system
- If you are a new student, you have to first claim your @siu.edu email address. Once you do that, you can add a phone number for text messages, etc.
- View Student Instructions